Keeping your shoes in tip-top shape is not only more sustainable (yes to less waste!) but also more wallet-friendly. Here's how we go about caring for our shoes:
- Find yourself a well-ventilated space, protect the surface you'll be working on and grab yourself a pair of gloves.
- Picking up a soft brush, start by dusting off the dirt on the shoes. Once you're done cleaning, gently wipe over with a polishing cloth.
- Conditioning your leather shoes with wax is very important. Take out the shoelaces and rub a little wax onto the shoe until its surface is fully coated. After giving the leather a few minutes to absorb it, wipe off any excess wax.
- Next, you'll want to carefully polish your shoes using a polishing agent and a brush or cloth in circular motions. Keep in mind that corners near the toe or heel also need attention and make sure to wear gloves!
- After that, carefully buff your shoes using grease and a horsehair brush. Brush back and forth in a sawing motion then follow up with a cloth. Conditioning and buffing your shoes at least once a month is recommended.
Preserving the life of your shoes:
- We highly recommend having rubber sole savers added to your shoes to decrease wear and tear
- Should the soles wear out though, entrust your kicks to a good cobbler who can replace them for you
- We would also suggest spraying your shoes with a stain protector before the first wear
A note on wet shoes:
- Those will need immediate attention. Towel dry them as soon as possible and fill them with old newspapers or towels to absorb moisture
- Leave your shoes to dry at air temperature and never in direct sunlight as that could cause discolouration
- Once dry, you can condition the shoes as you normally would
Check out our Shoe Care tab for everything you need to look after your favourite footwear pieces.